Thursday, October 9, 2014

How to make kefir.

KEFIR


GETTING READY TO MAKE KEFIR!






KEFIR POURED FROM JAR AND READY TO STIR THROUGH THE STRAINER




Kefir is a super resource for probiotics and is very delicious to drink plain or add to smoothies.
I bought dehydrated grains from Cultures for Health and developed stable grains that I have been reusing for almost two years.

Here is my quick and super easy method to make kefir using Cole's Creamery raw milk.

1.  I designate a glass pourable measuring cup, wooden spoon and plastic strainer specially used only       for kefir.

2.  I have a clean quart jar with an unbleached coffee filter held with a metal ring or rubber band to put strained kefir grains inside.


3.  I put a small amount of kefir into the strainer and stir the grains causing kefir to strain into the measuring cup.

4.  I put the grains I have worked in the strainer into the clean glass as I strain the kefir little by little.

STRAINED KEFIR GRAINS






5.  When all of the kefir is strained, I pour the kefir back into the jar that held the unstrained kefir.  I put a lid on the jar and refrigerate.

KEFIR GRAINS (LEFT)  FRESH KEFIR (RIGHT)
6.  Back to the clean jar holding the grains:  I pour milk right out of the refrigerator over the grains and put the coffee filter held by a ring on the jar.  No heating. No stirring.

7.  I leave the jar for 24 hours then strain again.

The jar needs to sit in a warm draft free area away from anything that could contaminate the culture.



 I SHARE KEFIR GRAINS WITH COLE'S CREAMERY MILK CUSTOMERS!





No comments:

Post a Comment